Tuesday, September 08, 2009

So Long, Beloved Cherokee!

My Jeep at the top of Table Rock

Although I know it needed to happen, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad today as we said goodbye to the coolest vehicle I've ever owned: my Jeep.

That's right, I sold my Jeep. For four years it made me a cool Jeep mom (or at least I thought so). It carried my first personalized license plates (which, by the way, looked way cooler on my Jeep than they do on a minivan). It took us on many adventures, sometimes crammed with camping equipment, other times just carrying us to the park.

I hadn't driven it for several weeks as it sat in our driveway with a For Sale sign on it and an ad on Craigslist. But today, I drove it to pick up Jared from school, then on to meet the buyers at their bank. I was running a little late, and drove a bit more aggressively than I usually would. And you know what? It was fun. Zach even kept yelling, "Wahoo!" as it cornered a bit better than the van (and no, I wasn't driving recklessly.) Minivans just aren't really very fun.

It helped that the buyers were about to burst with joy at acquiring my beloved Jeep (although I can't say that I really knew it was beloved until I had to let it go). The wife called me this morning to make sure we were really going to meet up today, and if she'd been younger and in private, I think she may have actually jumped up and down. I know they'll take care of it and enjoy it as much as we did. And now she gets to be a cool Jeep Mom.

Several times today, I was thankful that on a few occasions, I thought to snap a photo of the Jeep. My two favorites are in this blog post. They'll be making it into a scrapbook page, that's for sure. Because I've never felt this fond of a car! Zach seems to agree. He was upset that we were leaving it in the parking lot, and when we explained that it wasn't ours anymore, I thought he might cry.

Tchau, beloved Jeep Cherokee! We'll miss you!

On one of our many trips to the "Beaver Bridge" (Park Center Bridge) on the Green Belt

(P.S. I did love my first car, a Camry, and was sad when a dumb girl on a cell-phone smashed it, but I had other things on my mind, like spending the night in the hospital hooked up to fetal monitors to make sure Jared was okay. And I didn't give it up voluntarily, so I could kind of just get mad at that dumb girl.)

1 comment:

CB said...

I am always sentimental about my vehicles too! There is just something about having a car you really love and the memories that go with it. I am sure you'll make lots of new ones in your van.