Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Easter at the Lancasters

After traveling for about 4 weeks out of the past 2 months, Easter sort of snuck up on us. I had to dig out the boys' baskets as we dashed out the door to the ward Easter Egg Hunt the Saturday before Easter. I planned to get out the decorations later that day, but sorta forgot. So we got them out just a few days before.

Luckily, we got everything done before the Easter Bunny came.

Saturday, we colored eggs.

We started off painting with thick dye that came in a "speckled egg" kit. At first, I thought it was awesome, but we quickly tired of it. And the dye dried sticky. We're not fans!
And kids love dipping, so they begged to dip. We saved our egg dying cups from previous years, and made just three colors with food coloring and vinegar. I have some Fall Colors dye, and it was really interesting! We did orange, forest green, and burgundy.
Zach took this photo of what he described as "a very messy project."

Of course, the Easter Bunny hid all our colored eggs in the living room Easter morning. Here's a photo of the second after I said, "Ready...set....go!"
This is Jared's monogram egg after he found it.

The boys both got bunny ears in their baskets.

My sister and I used to color our lips with Robin Eggs Easter morning, and I showed Jared how to do it. Ryan thinks I'm weird.
Then we had our traditional General Conference breakfast of straight-from-a-can orange rolls. We go simple. And yummy! It's really hard for the boys to pay attention to General Conference, and hard for them to stay quiet so the adults can listen. And with three little kids, I feel like I'm always up getting something for someone. It's no different during regular church, so it really shouldn't surprise me!

During the break between conference sessions, I led the boys outside to a fun surprise--a new wagon!
We found this wagon up in the attic above our garage. I spray painted the handle and sanded the peeling red paint. I liked how it looked with some of the wood showing through where the red peeled, so just I treated it with deck stain/protector that we'd bought to use on the swing set. I like how it turned out sort of old looking.

Someone gave us a plastic wagon several years ago, but one axle is bent and it isn't very easy to use. We're quite excited to have one that functions well!

Click here to see a few more pictures.

3 comments:

CB said...

Oh cute! I love the bunny ears and I used to paint my lips with Robin's eggs too. I had forgotten and that brought back a sweet memory :D
Your boys always look so full of joy!
You are a great mom!!

P.S. The wagon is cool - I like this type better than the plastic.

CB said...

P.S. This has nothing to do with this post but thanks so much for the Cream of Wheat tip - awesome!

Kat said...

Ok, seriously, I must be the worst friend ever. We have been so busy lately that I have not checked anyones blog. But, you know it's bad when it says that you have 22 unread posts. YIKES! Please forgive me?! I promise I'll be better after we get done moving this weekend. :) I'm glad you guys have been having fun. I love all the pics and stories. It was good to see you at the basketball game.