Saturday, June 05, 2010

Trash to Treasure: Magnet Board

I've been saving up those metal lids from frozen juice concentrate for a long time, thinking they must be good for something.

Really, they're not good for that much. But I think I finally found a good use for them. Magnet boards!

I don't have anything stuck to Luke's magnet board yet, but even without being used, it's so darn cute!

And even better, this thing is literally made out of garbage, so it's practically free!

Here's how to make one:
You'll need juice can lids, scrap cardboard or chipboard, spray primer, paint, a glue gun, and something to hang it with. I used Command Strips picture hangers (they're sort of like Velcro).
  1. Save up a LOT of juice can lids. It takes more than you think. This one is small and uses 40! Here's a tip, wash them right as you get them and store them in a Pringle's can.
  2. Spray lids with inexpensive primer (~$1)
  3. Decide on a design. I made one for my kitchen that is just painted the same color as my wall, so it doesn't attract attention. But since this nursery has a retro-mod theme, I went for a random pattern on this one. Paint your lids.
  4. Find a backing material and paint one side. Mine is on a Corn Flake box. I painted the brown side (I assume the paint won't stick to the glossy side) the same color as my wall.
  5. Glue the lids to the backing material with a glue gun. I had to lay the hot glue on pretty thick to compensate for the slight depth of the lids.
  6. Trim your backing material. I trimmed around each circle so I ended up with a scalloped edge, but you could just cut it straight, too.
  7. Hang with Command Strips or picture wire or whatever you think will hold it to your wall.

I'm sure that all you crafties out there can come up with a million cute variations on this. If you make one, I'd love to see it!

1 comment:

Kika VilaNova said...

wow! that IS super cute! I have been keeping a lot of stuff here cuz i KNOW tehre's something i can do with them but i am not creative. share more ideas!!