Saturday, July 24, 2010

Boise Hawks

We went to see Boise's minor league baseball team play last night. This is our second game with the Cub Scouts this summer. Last time, our seats were in the shade, but this time we roasted in the sun!

As could be expected, I got a Stairmaster workout as I went up and down the stands, tending to the endless needs of the three boys.

Half-way through the game, Ryan mouthed to me that there were going to be fireworks at the end of the game. There were fireworks after the first game we went to, but we'd known about them and had prepared by bringing ear plugs for Zach. He hates loud sounds! (I still haven't figured out why he's so loud if he hates loud sounds!) But we had made no such preparations this time. So we kept it a secret so Zach wouldn't worry and whine about it for the rest of the game.

We learned at our first game that they let kids run the bases on the field after the game. Jared wasn't up for it, but Zach went down to run. Jared and I spotted him as he entered the field and cheered him on. Then we laughed, because he sat down at first base to empty the dirt from his Crocs. And when he got to third base, he stopped to chat with the third base coach (I gave him the "Don't Talk To Strangers" talk THREE TIMES that night! Turns out, "stranger" is a foreign concept to him) He missed home plate entirely, running the perimeter of the dirt circle behind it instead. All of this is true Zach form, but the best is that when he was headed back to Ryan, they announced that there would be fireworks in a few minutes. That blew our secret! He immediately clamped his hands over his ears, and kept them there as he walked all the way from home plate to the outfield. That's our Zachy!

Luke was amazing at not falling asleep, although I wish he would have. I did everything I could to help him nap, but he refused until he was in his car seat on the way home! It was 3 hours after his bed time, poor thing. But he sure enjoyed the fireworks!

Luke and I went home, but the big boys got to stay and camp. They were supposed to camp on the baseball field, but there was a change of plans, and they camped near it instead. At 12:30 am, Ryan called home and I heard coughing in the background. Jared had been playing so hard that he was having an asthma attack! So I drove out there again with an inhaler. Jared had never used one before, but got it down on the second try. He felt tons better, so he decided to stay the night.

In the morning, the boys were given breakfast at the ballpark, then built UFO's at Lowe's Build & Grow clinic. Luke and I had a nice lazy, quiet morning, but I think all of us are exhausted today!

No comments: