Friday, August 21, 2009

Galileo!!!

We got a call yesterday saying that Jared got a last-minute slot at the math & science magnet school! We applied in the Spring, but didn't win the lottery. I guess enough people moved or decided against going there, so Jared gets a spot!

After a lot of thought and prayer, we decided to take the slot. It's a perfect fit for him! The teach engineering classes starting in kindergarten. Turns out the engineering teacher goes to church with us, so he told me all about it. They teach ABC's by having them build the letters with Legos! How fun does that sound? Jared already asked if we can practice with his Legos at home. As if he needs to know how to do anything else already before he even starts kindergarten....

But I think he'll have a better chance of not being bored stiff at this school. I wasn't impressed by the local "default" school he was going to go to. The principal was condescending and snippy, and a lot of the moms in the neighborhood drive their kids elsewhere. We figured that kindergarten couldn't be that bad, and we'd try for another magnet school next year. I'm excited that Jared will be going to a higher-quality school!

Oh yeah, the school is named Galileo, hence the blog post title. I think it's an awesome name! Very fitting. I have Bohemian Rhapsody and a song by the Indigo Girls called Galileo stuck in my head today!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Wow, that is awesome. I hope he has a blast. Caden is in a Kindergarten class with 4 other boys from our neighborhood. Don't ask me how that happened. :) He is really excited. I've been thinking that we need to come up and have you take our family photos. What with all your being carded and everything else. :)

Kika VilaNova said...

Yay!! You have to update us on how Jared likes it. I am sure he will love it and will grow to be even more of a child genious! :)

hugs