Friday, October 30, 2009

Never Smooth

I was very happy to get a phone call from my OB's office yesterday, saying that they had a shipment of H1N1 vaccines and were going to be giving them today. They had two "sessions," which were both first-come, first served. I signed up for the afternoon session and we were the first ones there.

I really wanted the shot so that heaven forbid anyone brings swine flu home, at least Mom won't get it while taking care of everyone. And with Jared, Zach, and I all being categorized as high-risk, and with neighbors and fellow church members having it, I've been rather nervous about H1N1!

After the three terbutaline shots a week ago (which burned!) I was pleasantly surprised to not feel a thing with the H1N1 shot. They told me to go back to the waiting room for about 10 minutes, and if I felt fine, then I could leave.

Problem is, after 5 minutes, I didn't feel fine. I got dizzy, tingly in the fingers, and the lights seemed so bright! So I went to ask what symptoms I should be on the lookout for, and said I was feeling dizzy, so they made me go back to a room and lay down. After 15 minutes, I didn't feel any better, so they moved me to where a doctor could check on me and said I needed to stay an hour. Yikes! You can imagine that the boys were hard pressed to stay entertained for a whole extra hour, despite the MegaBlocks and Dr. Seuss books.

I still didn't feel any better. In fact, I was getting very sleepy laying there. The drugged kind of sleepy. But I knew I could drive home fine and just go veg or go to bed. The doctor said, "Great idea. Who can you call for a ride home?" Well, I wanted to drive home, thank you. But they were watching. So I called Ryan, who was in the last hours of his last day of work. I really didn't want to bother him! I told him what had happened, but didn't have the address of my doctor's office handy, so I said I'd call back. Then I told the doctor that we'd wait in the waiting room, then we snuck out to the van and drove home. We'd been gone for nearly 3 hours, just for a 2-second shot!

Exactly one week ago (to the half hour) is when I slipped in that dang puddle of water and landed myself in the hospital. I was just feeling like myself again, and now I feel like garbage from this dang shot. What is going on with me this week?

No comments: