Wednesday, November 04, 2009

My First Parent-Teacher Conference

I had my first parent-teacher conference with Mrs. G today. When we sat down, the first thing she said was, "Jared is wonderful and amazing!" I thought it was just her oh-so-nice kindergarten teacher talk, but she went on to say that although the entire class is advanced (compared to the classes she taught at her previous school), Jared is clearly way beyond them.

The classroom has a computer program that automatically adjusts to the child's reading level. The entire "advanced" class is at level 1, except Jared who is on level 3. Of course, that doesn't mean anything if you don't know the program, so she showed me what he's doing on the computer, and it's pronouns, past tense of verbs, etc. Then she gave me a "yikes" look.

We're both concerned that he feels different from the other kids, since he's the only one who can read. She just got approval to add a reading program to the curriculum, since she thinks the whole class is ready to learn to read. She hopes that when the other kids start to read, Jared won't feel so different, even though his abilities will still be far above theirs.

The most startling thing she said to me during the conference was about skipping a grade. She considered figuring out how to get him to first grade for reading and math, but the schedule just doesn't work out well between half-day kindergarten and all-day first grade. And then she said that it wouldn't do much good anyway, because he'd be above grade level in first grade, too. And no one is about to suggest that a kindergartner skip to third grade.

That's when it was my turn to have the "yikes" look on my face.

I was hoping to be able to somewhat turn over Jared's education to the professionals when he started school, but I have no such luck. Neither his teacher nor I have any idea what to do for him!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I have a recommendation for you. Homeschool. I know, I know, you are already starting to say, "I can't do that!" But actually, you can, if you want to. (Lots of people do it and they are not supermoms!) And it seems you already have been doing it, perhaps without realizing it, because you've taught him to read and so on.
Why would you hold him back so far beyond his potential, just because the other kids his age were not up to his abilities?

Okay, I totally *don't* want you to think that I am saying you are a bad mom if you don't homeschool (because I do not think that, I think you are doing really great!) I just think you should give it some serious thought. If you homeschool him, he can go at any speed in any subject. He won't be slowed down by busy work and you will have soooo much satisfaction and fun sharing the learning process with him.

Kat said...

Holy cow! That is amazing. He is seriously so talented. I would talk to the principal or somthing and see what they would suggest. Maybe moving him up a grade period would help out a bit. He would probably LOVE all day school. :) Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

The only suggestion I can give is to make sure that he is "well rounded" in his social skills as well. A lot of smart little kids get pushed into academia and then lack the social skills to relate to their peers.

I cannot advise on the rest because you know what's best for Jared. Skipping a grade might be beneficial but could have the social con of always being so much younger than his classmates.