Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I've been AWOL since Friday, when I woke up with a twinge in my back. That's happened before, but not often, and it always resolves iself within a few hours. This time, it got worse.


I couldn't stand up, walk, or move without a lot of pain. I tried to relax and rest, but it didn't help at all.


After three days of debilitating pain that literally made my knees buckle, I'd had it. Despite my skepticism of chiropractors (because of their claims that popping a back can cure all sorts of things, because I don't understand the science behind "pushing nutrients into nerves," and because they tend to insist on many, many expensive visits) I was ready to try anything.


So Monday I found a nearby chiropractor. He tested my range of movement and took x-rays. He also lent me a crutch to help me get around. It helped a lot, but I still had to hang on poor Ryan's shoulder just to shuffle along without too much pain.


The chiropractor told me to ice my back and take anti-inflammatories (and of course, to come back every day). The ice immediately began to help, and I've been improving steadily but slowly. I left the crutch at the chiropractor's office today, and can walk for a short time without too much pain. The doctor said it wil be 3-5 weeks before I'm back to normal. Hip hip hooray. This is coming immediately after 6 weeks of restrictions after Luke was born. Actually, I had to skip my 6 week check up today. I'll reschedule when I think I can walk all the way back to the exam room in less than 10 minutes :)

Poor Ryan was thrown into being a stay-at-home Mr. Mom, driving Jared to and from school, wiping runny noses, juggling laundry, and making meals. Luke has been hanging out with me in bed or on the couch, but Ryan has to bring us everything we need. Zach and Jared have been helping, too.

I gotta say, Im ready for a break from pain. October saw my "I've fallen, and I can't get up reenactment, November a c-section, and now this! I need a vacation.

2 comments:

Lil Lancaster Fam said...

Oh man Susie, what a mess! I am sorry to hear all that. I hope you get to feeling better soon! I have a love hate relationship with massage therapists, chiropractors, and the like. I love how I feel after seeing them I hate that it usually ends up being way to many visits to recover and I stop before they want me to once I am feeling quite a bit better but not pain free(just to expensive!) I really hope your back gets to feeling better soon! You have a lot on your plat right now!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a chiropractor, but I've had my back adjusted many many times by physical therapists and boy do I feel better after!

Hope you are feeling better soon. As a person with a horrid back, I feel your pain.