Friday, January 08, 2010

Traumatic Christmas Clean-up

What is it about a new year that makes you want to clean out your house and organize? I think it's a carry-over from taking down Christmas decorations. I love Christmas decorations, but after a month or so, they start to lose their charm and feel like clutter. So after you take them back out to the garage, the house feels so tidy again. It's nice, so I think I just want to keep going.

Of course, this year things are taking a bit longer (everything takes longer with an infant!), so I'm packing away Christmas and purging the closets at the same time.

Anyway, I brought in a few big empty boxes so that as we tidy up the house, we can fill them with D.I. (thrift store) donations. I encouraged the boys to join the purge, which is hard for kids to do. They each thought of one toy that they could give away. Hey, it's a start.

I also filled a big box with clothing I don't wear anymore. I ended up with 3 boxes of donations! Then I went back to tackling the Christmas decorations. Poor Zach was horrified every time I took something down and put it in a box. Finally, he was on the verge of tears when he asked, "Why are we giving away all our Christmas stuff?" He thought I was donating everything I put in a box! He was much happier when I said we would just put them in the garage until next year.

But when I began dismantling our Christmas tree, he thought it was a bad idea. He told me, "Let's just leave it here until the next time it's Christmas!"

Oh boy, wouldn't that be cute?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, Matt has the same idea about our Christmas tree.

I've been purging too...perhaps it's starting the new year with less clutter that is appealing? I've already done Matt and Alex and am working on my closet. It'll take a bit of time, but how great it'll be once it's all done!

Kat said...

I can't believe how big he is getting! All your boys are growing up. I am in the process of purging my house too. Don't tell anyone, but we are thinking about moving. Somewhere where we can get a house that would be Brinley friendly. But, I realized today, that we have a lot of junk in our house. LOL :)