Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

I think I was too tired to really appreciate my Mother's Day. A little sleep would have gone a long way toward enjoying what really was a wonderful day!

Saturday evening, minutes before our guests arrived for Zach's party, Ryan came home with a beautiful bouquet of tulips. I asked him why, and he said he just wanted to do something different. I guess I had never mentioned that I love tulips, even better than roses! I think that's a relatively recent development. Anyway, they're so pretty!



Of course, Sunday morning was the usual rush to get everyone looking their Sunday best. But miraculously, we got to church early and even got soft seats! That's been tough with a baby and a new church schedule (we went from 11 am to 9 am at the new year). I couldn't find the necklace Jared gave me for my birthday a few years ago, so he suggested I wear the necklace and bracelet set he made me when he was 4. I got lots of compliments at church!
I was so excited when I realized that Zach would be going up to the front to sing with all the Primary children for the very first time. So you can imagine my shock and disappointment when I realized that I'd missed the whole thing while I was feeding Luke in the Mother's Room. Can you believe they turned off the sound, too? I guess because the kids going up there would have been too loud, so they had to turn off the mic. When it dawned on me, I was so sad, I actually cried.

But then the men passed out big Symphony chocolate bars, and that helped :)

After church, we had some lunch, then Ryan wanted to see if the "Mother's Day Fairy" had come while we were gone. The boys protested, saying there was no Mother's Day Fairy. "Mother Clause?" Ryan ventured. "Nooooooooooo!" the boys giggled. "The Mother Bunny?" They love Ryan's teasing.

The boys presented two boxes to me, a hummingbird feeder and nectar mix. Yay! We're still waiting for some little visitors, but I'm so excited to finally have one.

Ryan opened his laptop and showed me a photo of Jared standing in the garage, and said I had to go to that spot to find my present. There, I found a dwarf Alberta spruce tree! We have the perfect spot for it in a small circular planter in our front walk. I am going to try my hand at carving it into a spiral topiary. These trees are extremely slow-growing, so I'd better be careful. It'll take forever for a mistake to grow out!

Then we had yummy chocolate-cherry cobbler that Ryan baked in his Dutch oven! Mmmm...

And then we went to the Green Belt to enjoy the gorgeous weather. Wow, the temperature was perfect, and the fresh colors of Spring were so beautiful! We even found a Dogwood tree in bloom hiding behind an office building. Gorgeous!




Here's a sight to warm a mother's heart!


Pretty little wildflowers

Here's a link to more photos. I had a lot of fun with my camera out on our walk!

I hope all you moms out there enjoyed a wonderful day like I had!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love tulips too. Glad that you had a great Mother's Day!

Lil Lancaster Fam said...

sounds great! I sure could go for some of that cobbler! and love all the photos! I am in love with all the tulips this year. I have always like them but this year their beauty just seems to be jumping out at me even more. Of course being able to go to the Netherlands to see the tulips is probably not helping any ;)

and sweet boys, the whole lot of em!