Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Zach's check up

It seems I have quite the backlog of things to post on this blog. I'm in one of those times when I just want life to slow down. It usually does, eventually, but I don't think it will for a little while.

Zach had his 4-year check up on Monday. We were hoping that we'd be able to discuss his EEG results, but alas, there's only one neurologist in Boise, only one person who can read all those squiggles and know what it all means. You can imagine how busy he is, so the results could take up to a week and a half. We ought to hear soon.

Otherwise, Zach is doing great. He looks like he's poised for another growth spurt, with his body weight higher than usual and his height lower than usual. The doctor showed me how his Body Mass Index is higher than it should be, but I'm not worried. Jared did the exact same thing at his 4 year visit, and I can see Zach's ribs. I'm expecting to pass Jared's 4/5 pants on to him within the month. They're starting to show Jared's socks, anyway. He needs 6's.

Can I just say how much I love our pediatrician? In response to a question I had about Zach, he sat down and drew me a diagram, pointing to different parts and using their anatomical names. I was relieved to discover that I remembered them all! I rocked Anatomy at BYU, and it's nice to know that my brain isn't completely porous. Some things seem so slippery lately.

Dr. Keihl asked, quite matter-of-factly, "So is he reading yet? I bet he is." Today, Jared brought home another booklet his class is using to learn to read. Zach read it to me tonight and only sounded out 4-5 words. The rest, he just rattled off. A month ago, he really didn't have any patience for sounding out more than one word at a time. He's really stepped up his brain power lately!

Zach needed 5 shots. Ouch! But he felt much better about it after a nice discussion about immunology. These boys sure keep me on my toes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, our boys are such opposites...Matty is so darn skinny that if it wasn't for his height, size 5 still fits him. Good to know that Zach did well for his check-up and hooray for good pediatricians! We have an outstanding one too.