Monday, May 10, 2010

Zach's Birthday Party

Zach's birthday party was on Saturday. While we don't have a party with friends until our kids are 5, we always invite someone over. When we lived in Arizona, "someone" was family. Here in Idaho, we invite a family. It's fun to have someone to share the cake with, and Zach would honestly be happy with no gifts except that of guests!

I let my boys pick a theme for their party, and this year, Zach chose Dinosaur Train. It's a PBS Kids show that I just love! I could never keep all the -asauruses straight in my mind (except for brachiosaurus, stegosaurus, and T-rex, of course) until I watched that show with the boys. Now I know corythasaurus, ornithomymus, and ankylosaurus no problem! And I know that T-Rex lived in the Cretaceous period. A preschooler show has taught me more than all my paleobiology classes combined!

Anyway, Zach's favorite character is Buddy the baby T-rex who mysteriously shows up in a Pteranadon nest. He's so cute!
So I put him on the cake, too.

I fell in love with the color scheme for this party, and am imagining a crazy fun bathroom for the boys in orange, lime, and turquoise.

When our friends arrived, they handed Zach a bag and said he had to open it right away. It was a cowboy hat and a pop gun! He wore that hat most of the party, which is amazing. he never wears hats for longer than 2 minutes.
After the cake, the kids went outside to play. Then they suddenly remembered the gifts, and took them outside to unwrap.

That was a Lightning McQueen bike helmet. Very cool.
He also got a BYU football uniform, just like Jared's.
He had to put it on right away, of course. Then he opened his book from Nana & Babu (my mom and dad). We read it that night, and it is very fun and silly.
Then it was time to try out the football gear. Our friend's oldest son plays real football, and has taught his little brother (Jared's age) how. Despite his mom's warnings, he was ready to tackle. We warned them that the helmets aren't real, and they didn't smash too bad, but boy did they have fun! It's right up Zach's alley.
Doesn't he look handsome? He's ready for the team poster.
These last two are my two latest favorite photos of Zach. I can't decide which one I love better!
Happy birthday, Zachary!
See all the photos here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Zach!

You did an awesome job with his cake!! That could be a "Sunday Sweet" at Cake Wrecks :D And I love the idea of those colours for a boy bathroom...how fun!

My favourite photo of Zach is the last one...that is too darn cute for words. What a handsome little football player.

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday to Zach (slightly belated)! We are huge fans of Dinosaur Train, too!! Beautiful cake!