Saturday, June 12, 2010

Luke's 6 Month Stuff

I feel so behind on so many things! I have a lot of irons in the fire, I guess.

Luke turned 6 months old on May 30. I actually took his portraits that very day, which I already blogged about here. But now they're scrapped, too! This took 5 minutes because I just switched out the photos. Since the 6 month photos of are all 3 boys are nearly (and intentionally) identical, so are the scrapbook pages. It's really convenient!


We made blueberry muffins instead of a cake to celebrate. When Jared turned 6 months, we made him a cupcake with "1/2" on top, and the 6 month celebrations have gotten more haphazard ever since. So Luke just got a muffin, no cake, no frosting. But it's sort of the same idea, right?
He didn't know what to do with it at first, but managed to get some in his mouth. He seemed to like it okay. I was rather impressed when, several minutes later, the high chair tray was rather clean. Then I went to pick him up and found out what had really happened to the muffin:
Thank goodness for this awesome bib! It catches large amounts of droppage and drippage.

At Luke's 6 month check-up on June 2, the pediatrician was surprised to see him sitting up so well. We were already sort of over the novelty of that, especially since Luke's been rocking on his hands and knees. Later in the appointment, I laid him on his tummy, and blooop! There he went, right up on his hands and knees. Doctor Keihl was properly impressed.

I mentioned that Luke hadn't been grabbing at food to feed himself, like his big brothers had done about this age. Dr. Keihl said, "Oh, no, that's an 8 or 9 month old task." "Okay," I thought. "I'll lay that little worry aside." But Luke erased that completely just a few days later.

Just like he has at every visit, the doctor commented that Luke is really strong. Yeah, tell my scalp that when he grabs my hair! I'm worried about his hugs in the future. Zach was really strong, too, and now his hugs nearly pop your head right off!

So now, it's ten days after the appointment, and Luke has accomplished quite a bit since then! I find him all over the family room. It's hard to say how he moves around, but there's a little bunny hopping, some wriggling, and some belly flops. The bunny hops are when he gets the crawling motion down with his hands, but his legs just aren't getting the message. So he just scoots his knees and lower body forward with a little hop. Thank goodness he's not very fast yet!

I also gave him Cheerios for the first time this week. The first day, his brothers and I popped them into his mouth as he swatted the others across the tray. The second day, he got some in by himself. And the third day, I watched in amazement as he started picking them up with a "pincer grasp." (That's using the thumb and forefinger.) I looked that up and that's supposed to show up from 9-12 months. So he's quite the Cheerio expert now, and loves to feed himself.


Isn't he cute?

Okay, now I feel like I'm caught up. Mostly.

1 comment:

Lora said...

What a little handsome guy! I wish I could meet him. He looks like such a sweet little guy. 6 months already!! That was really fast.