Friday, August 27, 2010

New Do

I've been wanting to get a perm for a while now. My hair has gotten wavier as I get older, so it's neither curly, nor straight. I wanted a perm with big loose curls so I would nudge my hair in the curly direction without having to "do" my hair every day. I made an appointment at the Paul Mitchell School of Hair Design and got a babysitter. I was very much ready for a few hours of pure "me" time.

My plan didn't pan out. Loose curl perms lose their curl in as little as 3 weeks! So instead, I just got a cut and then my student hairdresser played with my hair. She said she'd classify it as curly. I didn't believe her. She said I just needed to know the right products to use and how to use a diffuser. When I saw what she did with a diffuser, I said, "Oooh!" I would NEVER have thought to use it like that. And the funniest thing happened. My hair was curly!

I had a head of big, messy, "beach" curly hair. I'll have to see if I can duplicate the results.

But it wasn't really the look I was going for, especially since we were going to have family portraits taken that night. So she showed me how to curl my hair with a flat iron and told me where to get an inexpensive curling iron and how to do a super-fast do with it.  And then she proceeded to spend like 30 minutes curling my hair to perfection.  I felt a bit like a poodle as I left, but I knew the curls would relax a little with time. And this is what it looked like when I got home.
I love it! I just hope I can figure out how to do it like this in less time, and by myself! Oh, I wish they could have permed it to do this on its own!

Side-note: I love having such a colorful wall in my kitchen!

1 comment: