Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Never Saw It Comin'

Zach was bookin' it on his scooter, and I was tailing him on my bike with Luke in the trailer, when a tricky, tricky mailbox jumped right in front of him!  He says he didn't even see it, poor thing, even though it's our own mailbox.

There's only a little blood on the sidewalk, but man, it was sure was running down his face! I'm sure he got quite the shock when he saw himself in the mirror as I had him lean over the bathroom sink. It had split into several streams, one down the side of his nose, and one coursed right over his closed eyelid, then split around his battered cheek.

Thank goodness Jared is such a good helper; he got Luke out of the bike trailer for me while I staunched the blood pouring out of Zach's split-open eyebrow. I actually wondered if he would need a stitch or two, because it looked deep. But it's small, so I flipped through our awesome first aid kit and found some small butterfly closure bandages. I was worried about him keeping it on, though, since I unavoidably had to put half of it on his eyelid! That can't be comfortable. He hit his cheek, too, which puffed up nicely, and ought to be purple for a while.


The day after---his personality is back!

A nice black eye is developing.


On a side-note, while rifling through the first aid kit, I also found insect sting wipes. That would have been nice to know about yesterday.

(Small and irritating update: the boys have absolutely no sign of having been stung yesterday. I also thought I was done with it until I noticed tonight that my ankle was itchy and aching a little. So I looked down, and...why do I only have half a cankle? And why is it pink and lumpy? Yay for me.)

No comments: