Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween 2013

The kids will be trick-or-treating with their dad this year, so "my" Halloween was tonight!
The Mid-singles held a trunk-or-treat, and I saw it as my opportunity to see the kids all dressed up in the costumes we'd worked so hard on.


Zach is a soldier. We found this perfect shirt at DI. The helmet from the dollar store, but I crocheted the camo netting for it. We also got him an army play set at the dollar store (he just had to have it) but he promptly lost the dog tags, walky-talky, and binoculars. Total was $4!


Luke is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III
(from How To Train Your Dragon)
I bought an entire Hiccup costume at Walmart for $1 after Halloween many years ago, but it's huge. So we just used the helmet. We bought the shirt at DI to get the right color. I bought the fake fur at DI, too, and sewed it into a vest. Total $4.
(Luke tried to smile, but he reeaally needed a bathroom!)


Jared is Stoick the Vast, Hiccup's dad. He liked the idea of a family theme, and I championed his choice because I really wanted to try crocheting a Viking helmet!!! And making a yarn beard.

The tunic, cape, and belt are cut (and even a tiny bit sewn) from on-hand fabric that I need to use up, anyway. I didn't finish the edges, or even sew up the sides. I think we'll be able to use it again!

I did have to buy burnt orange yarn for $3.50. The other yarn was in my stash, probably about another $3. The shoulder sheilds and belt buckle are cardboard, drawn on with hot glue, then spray painted.
Still, the materials I used are all under $10. Time was the big investment here!

Someone asked me how long it took me to make the helmet and beard. I answered, "A few movies!"
 
 


Oh, and the kids got candy, which made them happy. And I took spiced apple cider. It was in a church parking lot, but we had two camp stoves. The weather turned delightfully chilly just yesterday, so the hot chocolate and cider really hit the spot!
All in all, it was a great evening!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: