Monday, November 23, 2009

ONE WEEK!

Wow, the countdown is getting really short now!

A week from this moment, I'll probably be walking into an OR, nervous as all get out. I thought Zach's c-section was going to be a breeze. I did my hair and makeup, thinking that I'd look awesome in Zach's first pictures. After all, I wasn't going to have to go through horrible incessant labor and then have an emotional roller coaster ride with an emergency c-section like I did with Jared! It was going to be easy!

But it was kind of horrible. I was sooo sleepy! I couldn't remember why I was there without a great mental effort, which I then forgot again seconds later. I kept thinking, "I'm so tired. I wonder if they'd let me fall asleep. Hmmm...let me think about it. Why am I here again? Uh...uh...oh yeah, to have the baby! I should stay awake for that. I'm so tired. I wonder if they'd let me fall asleep?" and so on, over and over again.

And afterward, I still just wanted to sleep, but when I started to relax, all sorts of monitors started beeping because I wasn't breathing fast enough and who knows what else. The nurse kept coming over to make sure I was alive and chastised me for trying to sleep.

Then I got so cold that I had to have a special hot-air blanket on me. Then I was burning hot for hours afterward. I couldn't hold Zach for a while because I cranked up the a/c in my room to combat my inability to regulate my body temperature, and it was too cold for him to come out from under his heat lamp thingy.

See? It was no picnic.

And in pictures, it still looks like I got run over by a bus.


(May 5, 2006)

I talked to my current doctor about my experience, and he said that it was probably caused by the anti-nausea medication they used on me. At least the sleepy part. And he assured me that they don't use that particular medication in Idaho.

So keep your fingers crossed that this time it will go smoothly and that I will look good in pictures! (okay, so fat chance on the pictures, but I'd sure like a happier c-section experience!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to a C-section that doesn't involve drama!

I am right there with you on the first two being not-so-great. Did the labour and emergency C-section too. And then with Alex they had to give me the epidermal THREE times before it worked!! And then there was the full blown panic attack afterwards because I couldn't feel anything...

Yeah...

Anonymous said...

oh, goodness. I saw the picture first before I started reading and thought you had the baby already and early. then I read on. Good luck this time. I hope everything goes super great for you.